Friday, December 3, 2010

Lend Me Your Ear: Text as Art

Again using my body part sculpture, I had to create a piece using only text. I am most comfortable in photoshop, so I decided to work in there instead of drawing by hand. The theme to this piece is idioms. Continuing on the concept of how we hear and listen, I wanted to expand that idea to how we interpret cultural oddities, like idioms. There is so much more to it than just listening, but understanding as well. I purposely made the background text small, because upon first glance it's not important content, just as color and shape. I hoped, however, that if someone was truly interested that they could get closer and read the background. There it defines various parts of the English language, such as idioms. I was able to combine my love of English and art in this piece. I love how this turned out!

4 comments:

  1. I am fully jealous of how amazing this looks. It reminds me of a protest ad or something. Also, did I tell you how successful your background is to me? Well, it is. It really mirrors the shape of your outer shell of the cochlea. The only sad part I have to mention is that you picked a weird body part, which means that it seems unrecognizable to me. I mean, if I saw this somewhere, I'd be like, "cool squiggle." I'd never think, "righteous cochlea, man."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fellow English Lover, this made me very happy. I loved your idea of using idioms, and understood your ideas right away with no explanation. This piece seemed very clear to me, with the unimportant background and the interesting idioms contrasting each other in a way. The background words are straight forward, meant to be taken literally, while the idioms are not. I though your piece was well put together and certainly interesting. I really enjoyed viewing/ reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely love your idea of using idioms in this piece, as I completely agree with you - they are so interesting! You also did a really good job of recreating the image of your actual sculpture, really capturing all the curves and twists. I only wish the background was not so subtle, as I feel that it goes unnoticed a little bit more than it should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you didn't make all of the text one uniformed size. The variation between the words within the main object compared to the background creates a wonderful distinction between the two. It gives your text collage a must stronger definition.

    ReplyDelete