Friday, December 3, 2010

Blind Contour Face: Riley


This piece, one of the first of the year, was completed on August 26, 2010. We had to do a blind contour drawing; essentially I drew Riley, who was sitting across from me, without looking at the paper or lifting up my hand. In revising the piece I cleaned up some of the lines and had to add five shades of value. This piece was done so long ago, but I think I did a great job achieving value around his neck and chin. It was hard to work with at first, especially since I had no drawing experience, but I think it turned out nicely for one of the first things I did in art!

4 comments:

  1. I still can't believe how much this looks like Riley. Even though it was the first real project, you obviously gave it your all. I especially like how you left his face white, it really gives the piece good contrast.

    And if you haven't noticed, I'm commenting on all your posts. It just makes it easier. Plus, it seems like no one else has so far, so why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Brooke, the resemblance is awesome, considering the fact that this is a blind contour drawing! Your eye-hand coordination and precision is excellent, and despite not adding a lot of shading, you have still made this piece very dimensional! kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both Janine and Brooke. You took this blind contour drawing and really captured Riley. You worked very nicely with what little you had. It looks very much like a non-blind caricature of him. Your subtle shading gives it dimension without overbearing the piece. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with the above comments. You can easily identify Riley in this picture.... a quality that was completely lost in my piece :D. My first reaction to this - you are really good at blind contours! Well done.

    ReplyDelete