Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cardboard Red Pepper


This is the first cardboard sculpture of the year, which we did some time ago. I had a total of two hours between the beginning of this project and the end; it is completed in only hot glue and cardboard. As a first attempt under time constraints, I'm very proud of this project. I really like how I decided to keep the inside of the pepper white, and the outside brown. The texture I was able to achieve on the inside with hot glue is also very successful. I wanted it to look shiny, and I think the hot glue really helped with that. Attaching the stem of the pepper was perhaps the hardest part, but everything worked out in the end. I was able to learn a lot about my medium through this project, and how cardboard bends (and doesn't bend). It really helped me create my cochlea later on! This was a fun, if not stressful project!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy how you played with texture in this piece, putting the hot glue inside and having the paper in the stem show that all the fruit comes from there. Also, I really like how hard you tried curving it without folding it. Good work! Your next piece, the corrugated cochlea, really shows how much you learned from this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I remember this piece! I think you did a pretty good job on this piece, especially adding texture in the pepper through the use of hot glue. What amazes me more than this though... is how far you have progressed! Compare this to your cochlea, and you can clearly see you have come a long way in this art class from when you first started. You have really adapted to manipulating your material into the forms you want. So congrats on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have to comment on the usage of hot glue inside of the pepper. It's a fantastic idea that creates a much more realistic lining than without it.

    ReplyDelete