Friday, October 22, 2010

Corrugated Cochlea: The Finished Sculpture








So here is the finished product! Countless hours went into the construction and coloring of this sculpture but I really like the result! I definitely found some creative ways to work with cardboard to create a desired effect. The internal tube was especially difficult, but it's definitely my favorite part! I also really like how the colors turned out. I was afraid that I would run out of oil pastels, so I picked different colors for each section. The internal part is warm colors, yellow, orange, and red, and the outside is their cool, complimentary counterparts! I was a little burned out on this piece towards the end, but I'm glad I put in those last few hours to pay attention to the details and make it all that much better!

2 comments:

  1. The second picture looks like it's shy, like it's trying to hide. Are Cochlea shy? I mean, why not? They hide inside our bodies forever! I dunno. I still love the texture you put around the edges. It really gives it, not really an unfinished look, but like it's telling the audience that this edge is implied, not actual. I kinda agree with Jeremy, though, that it kinda looks like a science project. I bet you could win a science fair with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the movement in this piece and the way in allows my eye to travel throughout the piece and see the colors and intricate shapes and forms. I believe you did a great job with this sculpture, and it has to be one of favorites!

    ReplyDelete