Friday, November 12, 2010

Collage Project: Stage 1


This piece has a total of three stages of completion, this being the first. The assignment was to pick a shape -- mine being the triangle -- and create a pattern out of black, white and gray, using at least 2 sizes of your shape. This was a very labor-intensive project; I decided to use paint chips, and each triangle had to be cut and glued to fit into the pattern. I'm very pleased with how this came out; the pattern is called 'Flying Geese.' I love how each triangle retains the integrity of its color while still working together in a larger pattern. There's a lot going on, but it doesn't seem busy to me.
On a side note, after gluing triangles every which way for hours, I had serious perceptual problems.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a wonderful first stage, it includes the specifications necessary for the stage and it holds your attention really well. I find myself looking deeper for images that may or may not be intended. It seems to have taken you quite some time and it shows in the complexity and amount of detail in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think we have to comment on every single stage of this project? Because If so, I'm gonna shoot myself.

    Anywho, your use of geometric shapes was really interesting, especially since you used paint chips. And despite what Jeremy thinks, they're awesome. They really give an extremely saturated color.

    It kind of has a tension because it seems to be leaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the interesting pattern this piece creates, and its very abstract quality allows the eye to interpret it in a various number of ways. Whether or not they're colored or truly black and white, it's very pleasing to the eye and the lack of distinct images holds the eye to the piece!

    ReplyDelete