Friday, November 12, 2010

Homage to the Rectangle


For my midterm project I researched three fantastic artists, Johannes Itten, Josef Albers, and Robert Irwin. Their connection is color. Each artist helped further our understanding of color theory, or used color in innovative ways. In conjunction with a paper and presentation, I had to create my own piece, taking inspiration from these three artists. The title is a play on Josef Albers' series, Homage to the Square. Color has limitless possibilities, and when faced with this project I was overwhelmed and indecisive about what I wanted to do. Since I've used some very bright color schemes in past projects, I wanted to use this project as an opportunity to use mellow, but still powerful colors. I stepped away from the pure primaries, instead using greens, yellow-browns, and greys. I think they go very well together, and I always feel happy and peaceful when I look at this drawing. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. It really does sort of look like a tunnel because of the shades you used. Nice work on bringing in all your artists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate how this piece incorporates your artists' themes. The color choice was great too, the neutral green makes for an overall pleasing and tranquil piece. I like it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the simplicity, but elegance of this piece. You did a fantastic job working with the parameters of this assignment and creating a piece in your artist(s)' style! Also, your choice of this color because of your own personal preference rather than basing it on an artist's preference really allows you to bring yourself and your own qualities into it, despite its stark simplicity. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete