Friday, October 22, 2010

Inked Still Life


Completed Sept. 22 2010.
This is a half page still life completed in pen. Pen is a medium I'm not very familiar with, so this drawing was a great opportunity for me to get acquainted with it. At first I was frustrated with the permanence, and was scared to make marks on the page. Eventually I got bold, however, and I think the end result is awesome. I love pen now, I think it's a very fun and bold medium; I especially like the shading under the hula hoop on this one! The texture on the basketball took ages, but was well worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Although you say you aren't very familiar with ink, you showed your experimentation and what you understood to be the best ideas to create the look you were going for. The bucket the basketball is sitting in is MARVELOUS! As for the basketball, the only criticism I has is perhaps to make the dark lines a bit thinner, but that's a pen problem. Otherwise, great first ink project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think your shading techniques are impressive, to say the least. That hoop looks a little cartoony, but that's the chance we artists have to take when working with pen. Also, your basketball's shading is AMAZING!!! The stipling on it is so meticulous and not only gives it form, but texture? Wow. Just, wow.

    ReplyDelete